If you love science and engaging with the general public then we want to hear from you!
The University of Manchester is recruiting Science Buskers to support events taking place during this year’s Manchester Science Festival (MSF).
We’re holding an information and training session to help you decide…
The University is taking part in the Manchester Science Festival, and as part of our family fun science fair event – Science Spectacular – we are are seeking enthusiastic postgraduates and undergraduates from all disciplines (registered at the University) who are interested in inspiring and engaging the general public in some science fun.
What will you do?
Science Busking involves approaching people, showing them intriguing and entertaining science demonstrations or tricks – much like street magicians! As a Science Busker, you will help to enthuse and engage with hundreds of Festival visitors, bringing the fun and wonder of hands-on science tricks to the streets of Manchester. You will get to meet and work with like-minded people and enjoy a positive and memorable experience.
Whether this is your first foray or you are already experienced in the art of science communication we want to hear from you!
You need to be:
- Outgoing, friendly and confident: You’ll be working with family audiences from children to grandparents, so you need to be comfortable talking to a range of people.
- Intrigued by science: you don’t need a qualification, but an interest and enthusiasm for science and the ability to communicate scientific concepts clearly.
- Willing to learn: We’ll put you through science busking training, so you are fully prepared.
- Reliable and committed: If you are selected we will ask you to commit to 4 hours of science busking, from 11:00 – 15:00 on Saturday 31 October, on Oxford Road, Manchester.
What you can expect from us:
- Training and mentoring.
- All the busking kit you’ll need to become a Science Busker.
- A UoM Science Busker branded t-shirt to wear on the day.
- Valuable experience of working on a high-profile public engagement event.
How can you get involved?
We are running an information and training day on Monday 5 October 2015, 9:30 – 14:00 (includes lunch) in the Sackville Street Building (Building 1 on campus map). You can attend the training and then decide if science busking is for you. So why not sign up here – https://app.manchester.ac.uk/FEPSS8852
If you do decide that science busking is for you, you will be invited to attend a mentored practice at Manchester Museum on Tuesday 27 October.
You’ll then have the opportunity to take part in the Science Spectacular on Saturday 31 October.
Info and Training: Mon 5 October 2015, 9:30 – 14:00 (includes lunch)
Mentored Practice: Tue 27 October 2015, 12:00 – 14:00
Science Spectacular: Sat 31 October 2015, 11:00 – 15:00
How can I find out more?
For more information about becoming a science busker please contact: Dee-Ann Johnson at: Dee-Ann.Johnson@manchester.ac.uk or 0161 306 4155.
Please note this opportunity is only open to University of Manchester Postgraduates and Undergraduates.