Goal 17: Operations
The University’s operational activities play a key role in our approach to the Sustainable Development Goals.
Here’s a wider showcase of our work addressing Goal 17.
Examples of our civic partnerships include:
- those with Manchester City Council on education, planning and the environment;
- the Greater Manchester Combined Authority and other local universities on a new Civic University Agreement to enhance regional social, economic and environmental wellbeing;
- a Greater Manchester Health and Social Care Partnership and Health Innovation Manchester to drive local health improvements;
- the Greater Manchester Local Enterprise Partnership to deliver growth, jobs and prosperity for the area;
- Innovation GM to catalyse inclusive economic growth, level up the north, and increase global trade.
We also prioritise global partnerships to advance our work towards the SDGs. These include:
- our Engaged Member status of the global Talloires Network;
- as a founding member of the global University Social Responsibility Network;
- as a member of the Sustainable Development Solutions Network, the Association of Commonwealth Universities (ACU) and the United Nations Academic Impact (UNAI).
In 2018, we signed the international SDG Accord as part of our ongoing commitment to social responsibility and environmental sustainability. In 2019 our Alliance Manchester Business School signed the Principles for Responsible Management in Education (PRME).
In 2016 we launched 10,000 Actions, the biggest environmental sustainability initiative in the UK higher education sector, with 50% of our 10,000+ staff accessing the platform.
In autumn 2021, we’re launching a revamped 50,000 Actions that expands the platform to the whole of our student body.