Goal 17: Operations
The University’s operational activities play a key role in our approach to the Sustainable Development Goals.
Here’s a wider showcase of our work addressing Goal 17.
Examples of our civic partnerships include:
- those with Manchester City Council on education, planning and the environment;
- the Greater Manchester Combined Authority and other local universities on a new Civic University Agreement to enhance regional social, economic and environmental wellbeing;
- a Greater Manchester Health and Social Care Partnership and Health Innovation Manchester to drive local health improvements;
- the Greater Manchester Local Enterprise Partnership to deliver growth, jobs and prosperity for the area;
- Innovation GM to catalyse inclusive economic growth, level up the north, and increase global trade.
We also prioritise global partnerships to advance our work towards the SDGs. These include:
We signed the international SDG Accord as part of our ongoing commitment to social responsibility and environmental sustainability. Our Alliance Manchester Business School also signed the Principles for Responsible Management in Education (PRME). We are a founding member of the UK’s Sustainable Development Solutions Network (SDSN).
The University has pledged to support Manchester’s climate change target for zero carbon by 2038.
This involves reducing carbon emissions from a 2018 baseline of 54,000 tCO2 to at least 21,000 tCO2 by 2025 and placing carbon impact at the heart of strategic decision making in the University’s new strategic plan.