This is a fantastic opportunity for you to contribute to the social responsibility goals of the University whilst also further developing your one-to-one tutoring skills and earning some money at the same time.
MAP is the University’s flagship widening participation scheme, supporting the progression of talented local sixth form (Year 12) students into The University of Manchester or another research intensive university. You can find out more about MAP on our website. There will be over 600 students on the programme this year, all of whom will have attended state school and have no history of higher education in their family. We are looking for both academic members of staff and PhD students to tutor these students.
In order to successfully complete the programme and earn a two grade reduction towards an admissions offer from The University of Manchester and a scholarship, each MAP student must complete an academic assignment. The academic assignment is 1,500 words on a topic of their choice and will help them to develop the essential research and academic writing skills needed to be a successful university student.
Being a MAP Academic Tutor involves tutoring 1- 6 MAP students during their time on the scheme, and overseeing the production of their academic assignment. Communication with the student will be via email and the tutoring process includes two 45 minute one-to-one meetings with each student and the marking of their draft and final assignment.
Key dates 2016:
- First Tutorial Meeting: Students will contact their tutor in April to arrange their first meeting which must take place between the middle of April and end of May. During the first meeting assignment targets and titles are set.
- Submit Assignment Draft: A draft of their assignment must be submitted to their tutor by the middle of July.
- Second Tutorial Meeting: After a draft assignment has been submitted, students must meet with their tutor for a second time by the start of August. During the second meeting students receive feedback on their draft assignment.
- Deadline for Final Assignment: The deadline for submitting the final assignment is Monday 29 August 2016
- Assignment assessment: The deadline for assignment assessment is Monday 12 September 2016.
Payment is two £30 payments for every MAP student you tutor – one payment after the first meeting and one after the final assessment has been made.
All new tutors must attend a 1.5 hour compulsory training session and further Blackboard Training session. We will be running training sessions for all tutors during March and, if we are able to offer you a tutoring role, will be in touch to let you know when they are running. You will also be supported by the MAP team throughout the process and receive resources to help you.
If you are interested can you please complete this online application. Please note that, although we would hope to offer as many colleagues as possible the chance to work with us, we cannot guarantee that by completing this survey you will be able to tutor on the programme next year. As we are still recruiting students for 2016, we are not yet sure of their subject demands, which means that we cannot say for certain how many tutors we will need for each discipline. However, by competing this survey you will highlight your interest in working with us, and we may be able to offer you tutoring work on other projects in 2016.
If you complete the above application, we will be in touch in the new year regarding your interest in working on MAP. Please do not hesitate to contact email@example.com if you have any questions.
Manchester Access Programme, Undergraduate Recruitment and Widening Participation, Directorate for the Student Experience, The University of Manchester
Tel: +44 (0)161 306 6505