Are you passionate about your subject area? Would you like the opportunity to work with local school children? Then the Widening Participation Award Holder programme might be for you!
The Undergraduate Recruitment and Widening Participation Team is currently recruiting Postgraduate students for the position of Widening Participation Fellows. These positions support the University’s widening participation activities with a range of learners from primary through to sixth formers.
There are a number of posts available in each Faculty and also one post which is specific to The Ahmed Iqbal Ullah Race Relations Resource Centre.
For more information about the University’s widening participation work please visit here and here.
Hours and Pay
The period of employment is usually from October – July (10 months). The standard level of involvement is 100 hours in total spread across the 10 months. The payment is monthly (£125 a month). Potential applicants interested in fewer hours should speak with the contact person for their area given in the attached roles and responsibilities document.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Experience of working with young people in an educational setting between the ages of 11 to 18.
- Excellent organisation skills.
- Ability to enthuse and engage learners about your subject area.
- Ability to be proactive and use your initiative.
- Excellent team working skills.
- Willingness to manage own time and involvement.
Find out more about the roles and responsibilities of a WP Fellow (pdf)
Interested applicants need to send the following information to your relevant Faculty Officer (for EPS this is Emma Lewis) by Monday 17 September 2012. (note extended deadline)
- WP award-holder-information-form (doc)
- Covering letter outlining your teaching experience with the age group 11 – 18 years and evidence of the essential skills. This should be no longer than one side of A4.
Shortlisted applicants will be invited to interview which will take place in September 2012. If you know now of any dates you are unavailable, please let us know on application.
Posted on behalf of Emma Lewis, UG Recruitment and Widening Participation Officer (Academic Enrichment STEM)