Research with impact. It’s in our DNA.
The University of Manchester has a strong history of innovation and delivering positive change. This year we learnt we’re amongst the top ten universities for impact towards the UN Sustainable Development Goals and in the top five for research power in the REF 2021 results. Overall, 96% of our research impact activity was assessed as ‘world-leading’ (4*) or ‘internationally excellent’ (3*).
Research is at the heart of our heritage, our present and our vision for the future. Visit our new online research impact showcase which shines a spotlight on a selection of case studies, covering different areas where we’re making a difference.
- Innovation and commercialisation – We’re driving the innovation and commercialisation of new products to deliver faster, more effective solutions, from boosting productivity to inventing technologies that speed up drug discovery.
- Health and wellbeing – We’re revolutionising healthcare guidelines and treatments to transform lives, from widening access to cancer treatments to improving outcomes for people with anxiety and depression.
- Sustainability and climate change – We’re influencing sustainability initiatives to create a greener future, from building a tool to understand social vulnerabilities to climate change to influencing shipping and aviation policies to meet emission targets.
- Economic development and inequalities – We’re improving economic development strategies and revolutionising government policy across a variety of areas, including domestic abuse, inclusive growth and gender inequality.
- Culture and creativity – We’re pioneering new initiatives, from developing emerging writers through our Centre for New Writing to collaborating with the National Trust to reimagine how visitors engage with historical sites.
We’re excited about what’s next. Today’s global challenges are greater than ever – but so is our resolve to find solutions.
- To find out more visit our research impact showcase.