+Culture Shots; How Museums & Galleries Can Enhance Wellbeing
This was a week of events held in hospitals to promote the programmes of Manchester’s museums and galleries.
The events offered a chance for hospital staff to find out why culture works, and how they can use the expertise within Manchester’s museums and galleries to improve their professional practice, as well as their patients’ health and wellbeing.
Central Manchester Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust already has a sound relationship with the two museums in close proximity to each other on Oxford Road. The Children’s Hospital and also the Manchester Royal Infirmary works with both the Whitworth Art Gallery and Manchester Museum.
“Research shows that cultural experiences helps improve health and wellbeing for both patients and those who care for them. Hospital staff felt that these sessions offered a welcome break from their busy working schedule.”
Wendy Gallagher, Partnership Arts for Health Manager
There are five hospital sites, with over 10,000 staff and with a footfall of over one million patients and visitors throughout the year. In partnership with the NHS Foundation Trust, the organisers wanted to promote the resources of museums within Greater Manchester to staff and patients.
- To promote the proven contribution to health and wellbeing that engagement with museums can bring about.
- To enhance the wellbeing and satisfaction of hospital staff through informative and enjoyable activities.
- To promote the work of museums and galleries in Greater Manchester to staff, patients and visitors.
- Communication is the key to successful partnerships.
- Target known cultural champions in the health sector.
- Be as flexible as possible and adapt to the challenging limitations of a medical environment.