Join our University of Manchester Science Busker team – free training in Feb
Join our science busking team!
If you love science and engaging with the public then we want to hear from you!
What is Science Busking?
Science Busking involves approaching people, showing them intriguing and entertaining science demonstrations or tricks – much like street magicians! As a Science Busker, you will help to enthuse and engage with hundreds of Festival visitors, bringing the fun and wonder of hands-on science tricks to the streets of Manchester. You will get to meet and work with like-minded people and enjoy a positive and memorable experience.
So whether this is your first foray or you are already experienced in the art of science communication we want to hear from you!
You need to be:
- Outgoing, friendly and confident: You’ll be working with family audiences from children to grandparents, so you need to be comfortable talking to a range of people.
- Intrigued by science: you don’t need a qualification, but an interest and enthusiasm for science and the ability to communicate scientific concepts clearly.
- Willing to learn: We’ll put you through science busking training, so you are fully prepared.
- Reliable and committed: You’ll work as part of a team to engage the public and will be asked to commit to a time slot (typically 2.5hrs) for each event you sign up to attend.
What you can expect from us:
- Training and mentoring.
- All the busking kit you’ll need to become a Science Busker.
- A UoM Science Busker branded t-shirt to wear on the day.
- Valuable experience of working on a high-profile public engagement event.
- Refreshments and snacks to keep your energy levels up
Information and Training Days – Wed 13/02/2019 13:00 – 16:00 OR Wed 20/02/2019 13:00 – 16:00
We are running two information and training days. You can attend one of the training sessions and then decide if science busking is for you. So why not sign up here – https://app.manchester.ac.uk/FSESS2000
You’ll then have the opportunity to take part in a range of exciting public engagement opportunities on and off campus throughout the academic year – for example Science X, UoM Community Festival, Widening Participation school events and more!
How can I find out more?
For more information about becoming a science busker please contact: Dee-Ann.Johnson@manchester.ac.uk
Please note this opportunity is open to Undergraduates, Postgraduates and staff at The University of Manchester.