NERC Impact Development Programme (applications now open until 9 March)
If you would like to increase the impact of your environmental science research, and want to improve your skills in using public engagement to achieve this, then the NERC Impact Development Programme is for you! We will cover the breadth of issues you might encounter, from choosing the best type of public engagement for your specific research; to working through practical issues; to considering how to evaluate your public engagement to find out if it was worth it.
The Impact Development Programme is a dynamic nine-month professional development opportunity for 40 environmental science researchers to work with the National Coordinating Centre for Public Engagement (NCCPE) to develop their skills in delivering high quality engagement with impact.
The programme includes:
Two online events (31st March and 24th June 2021)
These engaging and specifically tailored events will provide the chance to:
- Receive expert input on engagement and impact from public engagement experts
- Participate in interactive group discussions to improve your work and share your feedback with others
- Hear from other researchers about their engagement and impact work
- Dedicate time to developing your research and engagement projects, including evaluation plans
The online workshops will be accessible and recorded with regular scheduled screen breaks.
Building connections and expanding support networks is key to navigating the engagement world. The Impact Development Programme will facilitate formal and informal discussions with peers and mentors to help you along the way.
Through small learning groups. The NCCPE work with a pool of experienced mentors from the engagement sector, each learning group will be allocated a mentor to support you in developing your engagement skills.
Is this programme for me?
Applications will be accepted from researchers who are working in NERC remit, based within eligible UKRI eligible research organisations. This includes current and past grant holders, and potential future grant holders, those working across disciplines but linked to environmental science and those who work on NERC funded projects but may not be named on the grant.
Proposals from applicants with diverse backgrounds and experience are encouraged, and there are no limits on amount of postdoctoral experience.
Priority will be given to researchers who can demonstrate that they do not have access to free engagement and impact support and/or networks of those involved in environmental science engagement within their institution or project.
Support to enable researchers to take part
NERC are offering small grants to individuals from UKRI eligible research organisations, who take part in the Impact Development Programme:
- Small grants will be available to cover time spent participating in the programme, when this is not part of normal work duties, as set out by your employer organisation or company. Grants do not cover time spent planning and development of engagement activity, which is considered part of your responsibilities as a researcher.
- NERC will also cover reasonable costs where relevant, according to the UKRI Travel and Subsistence policy.
Find out more
Click to find out about the Impact Development Programme.
How to apply
The Impact Development Programme cohort will be selected by NERC, following an application process. Please follow the link to complete your application.
NEW APPLICATION DEADLINE: 9 March 2021, 16:00
NCCPE contact – firstname.lastname@example.org
NERC contact – email@example.com